ABOUT THIS EPISODE
(157) I am terrified of my body changing (with Barbara Birsinger)Are you ready to ditch diets...yet not ready? Does the thought of another diet seem intolerable yet so does losing control? Does it feel like you will be just letting yourself go??? Listen to the latest Love Food Podcast that dishes on just that with special guest Barbara Birsinger.
I want to share the work going on within Decolonizing Fitness. The person behind it, Ilya Parker, is a trans person of color Physical Therapist Assistant and Medical Exercise Coachwith over 13 years of rehabilitative and functional training experience. He is a social justice advocate and educator whose work centers gender, racial and healing justice.
He decided to merge his love for restorative based movement practices and community advocacy to create Decolonizing Fitness, LLC; which is a social justice platform that provides affirming fitness services, community education and apparel in support of body diversity. Check out www.decolonizingfitness.com.
This episode's Dear Food letter:Dear food, You are so complicated. We used to have a good relationship. It wasn’t that long ago. At first it wasn’t even about you. Then I went through that period of incredible stress. I felt so lost and physically couldn’t eat you. I think that’s when the problem started. I lost some weight. That wasn’t a plan. I don’t know if it became a way to cope, to feel (or not feel), a way to control something, a way to become invisible.Now it is definitely intentional. I like the smallness. I’m so afraid to let go of that. I want health. I’m sure this is not full health. My brain knows it is time to heal. So many days I go to bed and promise that I can heal, that I won’t think about you and will just take care of my needs. But it doesn’t last long. I get scared and can’t eat you again.
I know where to find all kinds of resources. I seek them out, I fill my head with all the reasons to heal. I want to be better. But I’m terrified. I am terrified of admitting to anyone what’s going on. I am terrified of the body changes. I am terrified that some people will think I let myself go. I feel at the same time so ready for change and health but not ready to take the hard steps. How can I convince myself that it is time?
Yours, Ready, Not Ready
- 6 Keys To Food Peace™️ blog post
- Julie Dillon RD blog
- Link to subscribe to the Love Food’s Food Peace Syllabus.
- The 6 Keys to Food Peace
- Barbara Birsinger
- Real-Time Quick Decoding Process
- Yes I Want This/No I Don’t chart
- Intuitive Eating by Tribole and Resch (aff)
- Eating Disorder Dietitians
Do you have a complicated relationship with food? I want to help! Send your Dear Food letter to [email protected]Click here to leave me a review in iTunes and subscribe. This type of kindness helps the show continue!