ABOUT THIS EPISODE
On this episode I share my experience of listening to the audiobook version of 72 Hour Hold by Bebe Moore Campbell.
Pamela D’Pella is the narrator. She has a wonderful voice that captures the mood of the story.
This is the story of Keri Whitmore and her daughter Trina. It starts as Trina is turning 18 and the world is wide and wonderful for her, but a diagnosis of Bi-Polar disorder is about to shake their world apart.
In 72 Hour, Hold, Bebe Moore Campbell shines a light on the following:
- The challenge of having young adult child with a mental illness
- The challenges faced by a young adult with a mental disorder
- How mental illness is addressed or ignored in the black community
- The challenges faced by family members and person with a mental illness as they try to navigate their way through the healthcare system
- The challenge with other family members who cannot come to grips with the fact that someone they love has a mental illness
- The suspense as Keri takes drastic measures to get help for her daughter that is not within the guidelines prescribed by the health care industry
If you would like to get a better understanding of Bi-Polar Disorder, a good place to start is episode 92 of the Therapy for Black Girls podcasts. Dr. Joy is a licensed Psychologist in Atlanta, Georgia and her goal is to help you become the best possible version of yourself!
Why did I like this book?
- Compelling story
- I cared about the characters
- Bebe Moore Campbell makes you feel every emotion of the mother and the tension she is under constantly
- The narrator’s voice is wonderful. Deep, full of expression, just the right pace
- I gained greater insight into the challenges faced by persons with a mental disorder and their family.
I also give a brief update on my two reading challenges and a new directory of Black Mystery Authors on my website (www.ifoundthisgreatbook.com).