ABOUT THIS EPISODE
John Wolters (@jochenwolters) is back for round 2 – or 4 (whichever) either way, he’s awesome! We decided to shorten the podcast just a bit and skip the “feature” section, only to wind up with the longest podcast to date!! But never fear, dear listener, it’s 1hr 27min of pure AWESOME! We go through the sordid details of our WordPress site getting hacked, briefly turn the show into “Mobile News Weekly” as we discuss the HP TouchPad, talk about some mobile stats Ron came across (mind blowing stuff), and more great news in the web & UX design world. Enjoy!
- Steve & Ron (& John)
Episode 13 Show Notes
- HP Touch Pad
- Google design and UX gets less sucky!
- Google+, Gmail, and everything into the future
- WordPress now powers over 50,000,000 websites, blogs, portfolios, stores, pet projects, and of course cat websites
- WordPress is reported to power 14% of the world’s websites (http://thenextweb.com/media/2011/07/10/wordpress-now-powering-50-million-blogs/)
- now on sale: “Search Analytics for Your Site”
- Mobile Stats
- Pew Internet Project report released Monday July 11
- 83% of respondents said that they owned a cellphone of some kind and 35% of the 2,277 U.S. adults questioned in English or Spanish said that they owned a smartphone.
- about 78% of them use their phone to access the Internet every day. Nearly a third of smartphone owners use their device as their primary Internet connection.
- http://www.lukew.com/ff/entry.asp?1361 Data Monday: Mobile Market Snippets, June 27, 2011
- The iPad represents 89% of tablet traffic across all markets. In the US the figure is 97%. Apple has sold roughly 25 million iPads to date globally.
- PayPal is seeing up to $10 million in mobile Total Payments Volume a day (June 2011) – a big increase from the $6 million they reported in March 2011. PayPal currently has eight million customers who are regularly making purchases on their mobile phones, up from a previously reported six million users.
- For the listeners of Einstein & Sock Monkey, Audible is offering a free audiobook download with a free 14-day trial to give you a chance to check out their service.
- My audible pick this episode is:
- Linchpin – by Seth Godin
- To download your free audiobook today go to http://www.audibletrial.com/einstein
Social Media Minute
- John: UX for the masses: http://www.uxforthemasses.com/
- Ron: LukeW.com
- Steve: Adaptive Path Blog: http://www.adaptivepath.com/blog
- “Resonate” by Nancy Duarte
- On amazon: http://amzn.to/k3Z9xP $17.50
- Please subscribe in iTunes and give us a rating!
- Ron Zasadzinski
- Steve Martin
- Sarah Jane Griesemer
- Nick Armstrong
- Josh Mulligan