ABOUT THIS EPISODE
David Stein reached out to us after Erin Lowry’s Episode 81, where we talked about the basics of investing. He really liked that episode, and wanted to dive a little further into the different TYPES of investments you can choose from.
In this episode, we explore asset classes we haven’t really discussed before: Closed End Mutual Funds, REITs, Mortgage REITs, and the different types of stock you can buy. (Yes, there is more than one!) We even touch on Gold and Cryptocurrency!
Investing isn’t limited to stocks, bonds and real estate, and David introduces these ideas so you can start investigating the asset classes that appeal to you and works best for your financial goals.
David also shares his Investing Principles and his top tip is so simple, yet such an EXCELLENT piece of advice: Be able to describe in detail what you are investing in. If you can’t, you’re not ready to invest in that just yet.
If you’re looking for different asset classes, better returns or even just to diversify your portfolio, this episode is a must-listen!
In This Episode We Cover:
- David's money journey
- Launched businesses at the very young age
- Studied and liked the aspect of finance
- His approached to money throughout his career
- What prompts him the decision to retire
- On the "Money For The Rest of Us"
- The investment principles that he teach
- On the trading
- Disadvantages of buying individual stocks
- The difference between investment, speculation and gambling
- Individual stocks versus index funds
- Any circumstances that would make people buy an individual stock
- The reason why he start the podcast
- Closed-End Mutual Funds
- On real estate investment trust
- How he select reits
- Private reits versus public reits
- On preferred stock
- Buying preferred stock versus common stock
- What a mortgage reit is
- On bitcoin
- What makes bitcoin speculation rather than a gamble
- And SO much more!