ABOUT THIS EPISODE
What does it take to jumpstart your own ecommerce operation right from your home?
That’s the topic of today’s show with Bill and Maida Webster, a “retired” Connecticut couple who launched second careers as eBay sellers in the early 2000s. They came to love the wheeling and dealing—and soon realized the earnings would allow them to avoid dipping into their retirement savings.
As Maida says, “eBay (literally) floats our boat!”
You’ll learn Bill and Maida’s tips for researching comparable sales online and hear how they routinely sell items for as much as 6x the purchase price. They reveal how they source their niche products locally, then market them internationally to create bidding wars (Chinese buyers bidding on a sunglasses case?!).
You won’t want to miss Bill and Maida’s story about how they helped an heir to a famous Hollywood couple by selling their belongings on consignment… OR their story about trying to figure out what to do with a U-Haul truck filled with antique dolls.
Bill and Maida also reflect on working together as a married couple, and how they divide up their responsibilities (and physical workspaces) to avoid driving each other crazy. J and Carol can relate!
This is an entertaining and insightful show that will inspire you to start looking around the house for items to sell. Whether it’s Amazon, Facebook, Craigslist, eBay, or another platform, if you’re looking to create a new income stream by buying and selling online, this episode is a perfect starting point. If you enjoy the episode, make sure you’re subscribed so you won’t miss an episode!In This Episode We Cover:
- How Bill and Maid were able to start an online business right after retirement
- Making your "small business" a "real business"
- Research and other skillsets that you need to start your eBay business
- The story of their first customer and first products they sold
- How the market dictates value
- How they got to the point of having over 2,500 items in their store
- How Bill was able to personally ship 23,000 items!
- Using social media and other sites to increase the visibility of your store
- Why they decided to do something great in their 60s
- And SO much more!