ABOUT THIS EPISODE
We have two big announcements for you here: the first is that 1001 is now at AMAZON’S ALEXA USING THE ANYPOD SKILL
Download the Anypod Skill App at Alexa
Then ask Alexa:
ALEXA, ask Anypod to play 1001 Heroes
Or ALEXA, ask Anypod the play 1001 Classic
The second covers the questions WHAT IS AMAZON ALEXA? AND WHAT IS ANYPOD?
Many people have an account with Amazon, which is an online powerhouse where you can buy or subscribe to just about anything and great some great deals. One of their biggest selling items last quarter was their line of ECHO speakers- which contain an intelligence software called Alexa , which is short for Alexandria, where at one time, all the knowledge in the world was stored.
You can ask Alexa anything- she’s a lot like Siri, except she can, according to many, do a lot more. She can play your favorite music on demand, answer any question, turn your lights on, control your thermostat, give you news and weather, and give you access to all kinds of skills and morning updates- you just enable them in the settings bar when you receive Alexa. Everything I use is free. I do pay Amazon a small fee monthly to be a member there. The Echo speakers run between 50 and 120.
When I found out about Alexa, and that you could request podcasts on there, I tried it out. It’s a little clunky, but it works at getting the most recent show at your favorite podcast.
I dug in deeper and found that if you want to really move around within your favorite podcast you need to enable Anypod Skills, which Amazon's voice assistant into a serious podcast machine.
. To enable Anypod:
- Go to amazon.comor open the Alexa app on Android or iOS.
- select Skills. If you are doing this from your mobil Tap the hamburger bar in the top left to expand the left menu
- Search for AnyPod.
- Click Enable. Now you’re in business. Its free,btw.
After AnyPod is enabled, play any podcast by saying, "Alexa, ask AnyPod to play '1001 Heroes'" or 1001 Classic. , which is 1001 Classic Short Stories and tales. You don’t even need to use our whole show names. Make sure you say one thousand one, not one thousand and one. . With AnyPod, you can really control your listening. This is a beautiful thing- take notes:
- Subscribe to a podcast:"Alexa, ask AnyPod to subscribe to 1001 Heroes, Legends, Histories &Mysteries. Same goes for “Alexa, ask Anypod to subscribe to 1001 Classic Short Stories &Tales: and Alexa, ask Anypod to subscribe to 1001 Stories for the road”. And that goes for any other favorite podcasts you have,
- Unsubscribe from a podcast:"Alexa, ask AnyPod to unsubscribe from 'Criminal.'"
- This is where it gets really good. You can
- List your subscriptions:"Alexa, ask AnyPod, 'What are my subscriptions?'"
- Play subscriptions:"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play my podcasts."
- Jump to a specific time in a podcast:"Alexa, ask AnyPod to [fast forward/rewind] 5 minutes."
- Play a specific episode:"Alexa, ask AnyPod to play episode 65 of '1001 Heroes' .
- Skip forward or back an episode (must currently be listening to a podcast with AnyPod):"Alexa, play the [next/previous] episode." (While playing your subscriptions, this command will jump to an adjacent episode in the subscription list.)
- Jump to the first or last episode:"Alexa, ask AnyPod for the [newest/oldest] episode."
- Reset your listening history (so episodes don't pick up where you left off):"Alexa, ask AnyPod to start over."
The developer notes that if a podcast you publish or listen to is missing from AnyPod, you can request it by sending an email to [email protected].
I did read recently that Alexa will be available in a number of new cars this year- Ford and Toyota were mentioned.
And- lst note- You may be hearing some morning updates from us on Amazon Alexa Flask Skills- we are looking into that now.
Echo devices were previously only available in the US, UK, Germany, India, Japan, and Canada. Amazon earlier announced plans to bring Echo and Alexa to Australia and New Zealand next year.. Happy listening, everyone- and thanks for being fans of our show!