The Best Podcast Apps Exclusively for Your iOS Devices
Easily manage a flood of podcast episodes with an app that uses a new way of looking at podcast organization. Castro 2 throws away the “master list” approach and ushers in the trifecta of a queue, inbox, and archive. Queue houses the episodes you’re looking to listen to, Inbox provides a list of episodes along with text snippets, and Archive is where all your favorited episodes are stored.
Castro 2 has an innovative feature called Triage that allows you to broaden your listening habits without being hassled by notifications for new podcast episodes. Triage will recommend new podcast episodes based on your previous interests making it an excellent feature to help you prioritize content.
- Enhanced audio
- Sleep Timer
- 3D Touch support
- CarPlay support
- Favorite list of episodes
- Adjustable playback speeds
The interface of Overcast is intuitive and easy to navigate. Podcasts are organized by category and can be interacted with by a simple click. You can check out any of the episodes offered, commitment-free, or subscribe and add one (or many) to your list.
Smart Speed, one of Overcast’s best features, allows you to speed up podcasts without distorting quality. If you’re the type that likes to speed through conversation to get to the good parts then this function is a real time saver without any diminishing returns.
- Download podcasts for playing anytime, even when offline.
- Create custom Playlists with smart filters and per-podcast priorities, and rearrange the list whenever you want.
- Download podcasts over cellular, set a sleep timer, or use Voice Boost to enhance and normalize speech volume.
- Adjust playback speed, and use Smart Speed to pick up extra speed without distorting the conversation.
- CarPlay support
A lot more flexible and powerful than Apple’s official app, Downcast offers users a large collection of both features and shows. With intuitive downloading options and a superb, easy to navigate interface, Downcast is an amazing podcast app. Easily create playlists, play videos at fullscreen, and adjust various parameters such as playback speed with this podcast app.
Downcast’s true power lies in its library management. Global settings allow for large downloads, whether to use Wi-Fi or cellular data and provide the ability to determine how long episodes are retained after you watch them. These settings can be overridden for individual podcasts and episodes as well.
- Search, subscribe to and download audio and video podcasts of any size
- Download podcasts automatically
- Continue podcast downloads in the background
- Import and export podcast feeds via OPML as well as audio/video media files
- Support for password-protected podcasts
- Create and edit “smart” playlists
iCatcher! is quite similar to Downcast, albeit with a bit of a learning curve. Though once you’re able to master the differences in interface design and intuitive ease, you’re graced with a podcast equipped with quite a few interesting features.
iCatcher! features playlists, extremely customizable settings, AirPlay support, and much more. When searching for shows, the app allows you to break it down into categories and sub-categories to find what you’re looking for, quickly.
- Download in the background
- Download multiple episodes at once (up to 3 on WiFi and 2 on cellular).
- Sync subscriptions, episode playback positions and playlists between your devices with iCloud
- Search for all views to find that podcast or episode you are looking for
- Custom playlists with filtering options by podcast, episodes and more.
- Full VoiceOver support
Both simple and easy to use, Breaker allows you to manage your podcast subscriptions, importing them from the iOS Podcast app as well as some of the above options — Overcast and Castro.
You’re able to like, comment, and subscribe to all your favorite podcasts. Breaker is touted as the #1 social podcast app for its seamless integration with Twitter and Facebook as well as the ease of sharing with friends.
- ½x up to 3x speed
- Skip Silences to save time
- Offline mode
- Discover hot episodes that everyone is listening to
- Chat about episodes with friends
- Profile with your favorite podcasts
Top Podcast Apps That You Can Only Find On Android
Elegant in design, Podcast Go is a feature-rich app offering over 300,000 shows at your fingertips. It’s streamlined interface and powerful controls give you easy access to millions of audio and video episodes. Podcast Go allows you to find the podcast you seek using a popular and trending categories search feature.
This app is very well-rounded when it comes to a user’s podcast needs. An excellent interface, a huge list of podcasts, and app functionality that puts it on par with most of the big names in podcasting.
- Download episodes and listen to them offline.
- Discover new and popular podcasts.
- Create your own playlists.
- Control speed rate.
- Set sleep timer.
- Chromecast support.
Possibly the most popular podcast on the list, Podcast Addict has over 5M+ downloads and 300k+ reviews. Search podcasts by name, category, or keyword with this app. It contains a massive library of podcasts, audiobooks, live streaming radio, and even has support for YouTube and Twitch channels.
When you play an episode from the Downloaded list, it makes a queue of all episodes for continuous play. The ability to browse content from so many different sources is a big advantage over other podcast apps. With a bevy of standard as well as exclusive features in a free package should make it an obvious choice for Android users.
- Multiple playlists support
- Advanced playback features like Shuffle mode, Loop mode, and Sleep Timer
- Works as a standalone player (MP3, local files, streaming)
- Full chapter support
- Automatic update, download, playlist & deletion (Set a specific time so your favorite podcasts can be downloaded before you wake up)
- Full app backup/restore
If you ever wanted a podcast app with great features that also doubles as a social experience, CastBack Plus has you covered. Have open discussions on podcasts by simply posting a comment and the podcast creator, as well as other listeners, will be notified. This allows anyone to check out and join in on the conversation.
CastBack Plus also comes with a clean and beautiful UI with an easy on the eyes home screen layout. Constantly in development, the developers seem to listen to their users/critics and are open to feedback and requests.
- Podcast Subscriptions
- Smart Play Queue
- Variable Playback Speed
- OPML Import
- Discover New Podcasts
- RSS Import
One of the oldest podcast apps on the list, Doggcatcher has received and continues to receive, frequent updates to its features and design. Boasting a massive library of podcasts, playlist support, variable speed playback, themes, and various automation and customization features, Doggcatcher is nothing to scoff at.
The app comes with an upfront price of $2.99 but offers users an entirely ad-free experience and absolutely no additional in-app purchases. Doggcatcher offers so much for its price tag that it may be the steal of the list in terms of raw power in a podcast app.
- ChromeCast and Android Auto support
- Auto download and cleanup of media files
- Offline playback of audio and video podcasts
- Customizable audio playlists
- Build in variable speed playback
- Home screen widget for easy access to playback controls
Antenna Pod is an easy-to-use, flexible, and open-source podcast manager exclusively for Android. It offers automatic downloading of new episodes as well as playback with variable speed using Prestissimo.
The biggest sell of Antenna Pod is the fact that it is 100% free from the jump. Absolutely zero ads, zero costs, and completely open source.
- Add and import feeds via the iTunes and gPodder.net directories, OPML files and RSS or Atom links
- Enjoy listening your way with adjustable playback speed, chapter support (MP3, VorbisComment, and Podlove), remembered playback position and an advanced sleep timer (shake to reset, lower volume and slow down playback)
- Share episodes and feeds through advanced social media and email options, the gPodder.net services and via OPML export
- Take control over automated downloading: choose feeds, excluding mobile networks, select specific WiFi networks, require the phone to be charging and set times or intervals
- Manage storage by setting the number of cached episodes, smart deletion (based on your favorites and play status) and selecting your preferred location
The Pinnacle of Cross-Platform Podcast Apps
Pocket Casts offers recommendations, popularity charts, and trending networks in order to help you find the podcast for you. It can even build an Up Next queue automatically so that there’s no downtime in your listening enjoyment.
An awesome feature of the app allows you to trim the silence between episodes which reduces the wait time between each show. You can also skip past the intros and episodes of the shows you don’t want to watch.
- Build a playback queue from your favorite shows
- Cut silences from episodes so you finish them faster, saving hours
- Increase the volume of voices, while decreasing background noise
- Skip episode intros, jump through episodes with custom skip intervals
- Subscriptions, playback and filters are all securely stored in the cloud, ready to sync across your devices
Easily manage your subscriptions across multiple devices and discover amazing new shows daily with the Player FM podcast app. The app comes equipped with all the standard bells and whistles one expects along with a few available in-app purchases.
Player FM also features Chromecast which allows you to throw up your podcasts onto your smart TV for a larger viewing experience. With a curated catalog of over 500 niche topics, you’re bound to find something you’ll enjoy.
- Multi-device Sync
- Offline Listening
- Custom Categories
- Advanced Audio Player
- Sleep Timer
- Custom Playlist
This app is ad supported which can be circumvented through a yearly price tag of $9.99. Recently, an upgrade option was enabled to remove all visual ads from the application. Though the podcast app will generally have everything you’ll need to enjoy its vast library of shows it does tend to fall flat in terms of features. The bulk majority of every other app mentioned in this post will typically outshine it in almost every way.
- Browse charts of the top featured shows
- Search by episode and add them to favorites
- Large library to choose from
- New episodes download for free automatically
An easily usable podcast player for those who love their podcasts. CastBox offers a super clean layout and easy to navigate interface. The app comes with a wide range of categories to choose from and allows for completely free streaming or downloading anywhere, anytime.
Enjoy your shows on the go or even on your laptop at work as all shows are synced across all platforms allowing for uninterrupted listening no matter which device is used.
- Customized playlists
- One-button subscription options
- Offline listening
- “CashBox” a trivia game with real money prizes
Stitcher is an on-demand podcast app focusing on news and informative radio streams. The app provides a free online streaming service and aggregates content from multiple providers, organizing them into various stations for your listening and browsing leisure.
This app provides plenty of customization and personalization through its personalization algorithm. This particular feature builds upon the user’s listening habits to influence recommendations and provide a better overall audio streaming experience.
- Listen on Demand
- Personalized Front Page
- Custom Playlists
- Smart Speaker Integrations
- Exclusive Premium Shows
Spreaker is a media host and provider with podcast recording capabilities. It offers plenty of opportunities to listen to your favorite pre-recorded and live shows while also providing users with a live record and upload option at their fingertips.
Spreaker Podcast Radio is specifically for mobile devices and enables users to listen to their favorite shows as well as take part in live shows by interacting with the host and fellow listeners. If interested in creating your own podcast, then you’ll want to download Spreaker Studio. This option is available on both desktop and mobile devices.
- Access thousands of podcasts, shows, and live broadcasts
- Keep all your preferred podcasts in one place with the personalized Favorites section
- Easily search shows and episodes by keywords and tags
- Offline listening
- Like, share, and comment on episodes
- Interact live with hosts and fellow listeners
Chorus is a social podcast player built on the premise that if you find something worth listening to, then you’ll probably want to share it. The app allows you to interact with communities of listeners and podcast lovers to create your own podcast social network.
Upon recommending your favorites to friends, fans, and total strangers, garner a following of connected listeners by enabling auto-posting to Facebook and Twitter. This enables you to reach potential fans even if they aren’t on Chorus.
- Discover episodes, personally recommended by podcasters and podcast-lovers
- Recommend your favorite episodes to friends + other fans
- Talk to other listeners and podcasters in Communities
- Follow the podcasters you love, and see what they recommend
- Build a following of like-minded listeners
- Share your podcast recommendations on other social networks
As mobile functionality and software improve, we’re treated to a more robust variety of features. Those listed above are the current favorites but each new day brings needed improvements and innovation. With such a comprehensive list, you’re sure to find the podcast app that you never even knew you needed.
If you’re totally new to podcasts and prefer to avoid app installations or subscriptions, an alternative is the podcast search engine Listen Notes. You’ll be able to search for specific episodes of people or topics that you’re interested in and listen there without the need to download a thing.