This series explores how addiction alienates and injures Irish families and communities and then reconnects through a journey of healing and shared understandings.Doctors, psychologists, counsellors, recovering addicts and family members, give compelling insights into the dark and gruesome world of addiction as well as revealing effective avenues of recovery that heal wounds and build faith and strength.
These raw and sensitive revelations may be upsetting to the listeners at times but they also leave behind an abiding hope.
The music that punctuates the interviews on this programme was selected for its relevance to the topics discussed and was generously contributed by Irish singer song writer Damien Dempsey and North Dublin rappers Lethal Dialect and James Costello.
Programme one : Facts and fiction about addiction
In this programme, you will hear the clear facts and fiction about addiction from our panel of experts including a doctor, a priest, a well-known singer, a famous actor, a rapper, addiction professionals and a recovering addict:
• Peter Mc Verry Trust founder Father Peter Mc Verry
• & Coolmine Therapeutic Community Staff Member Anita Harris
open a window onto the drug scene in Ireland
• Blanchardstown rapper James Costello &
• Love Hate Actor John Connors talk about addiction in North Dublin and in the travellers community
• & Father Peter Mc Verry shows that it also affects people from middle class backgrounds
• Dartry addiction Counsellor Stephen Rowen
• Coolmine Therapeutic Community Staff Member Anita Harris &
• former Rutland Centre Clinical Director Dr. Fiona Weldon
discuss the facts and fiction about addiction including prescription tablets, methadone and the hidden dangers of cannabis.
• Coolmine Therapeutic Staff Member Anita Harris,
• Father Peter Mc. Verry and
• Dr. Edmund O’ Flaherty explains how the chemistry of the brain can have an impact on addiction.
• Senior Nurse Manager at Blackrock Centre for Living Brian Maguire talks about the connection between addiction and mental health &
• Irish singer, song writer Damien Dempsey brings in the spiritual and aspect.