Role Playing Public Radio looks at role playing games with humor and insight. Our mission is to make gaming more fun, whether it is celebrating a legendary session or making fun of dysfunctional games. If you have ever slain a gazebo by mistake, looted the body of a sass mouthed NPC, or died screaming in Call of Cthulhu, RPPR is for you!
Nov. 21, 2017
News: Red Markets is on DrivethruRPG (PDF) and Indie Press Revolution (print and PDF) Buy it now! I was at Patrecon, a conference for Patreon creators and you can briefly see me at 2:05 in this video about it. As always, check out the RPPR Patreon!
Synopsis: We’re in a space opera mood at RPPR. I am running Ashen Stars, Thor: Ragnarok was great and a new Star Wars movie is coming. So, Dan, Shaun, Tom, and I discuss what space operas, what they entail and how to use them in RPGs. We also mention the Picaresque genre, Spaceship Zero and of course we have shout outs and anecdotes!
* Conspire: a storytelling game of conspiracies
* Synthicide: A sci-fi RPG about blowing up robots and exploring the universe.
* Twilight Imperium 4E: It’s back and better than ever
* Demon Underground: a web comic by a fellow Patreon creator, Bob.
* Delirium Brief: The newest Laundry novel returns to Bob as he deals with the most deadly threat he’s ever faced.
* Raiders of the Lost Art: A documentary series about stolen artwork, currently on Netflix.
* The Outlaws: A Korean crime thriller about the invasion of a Chinese gang in Seoul.
* Re:Creators: An anime series that sounds like a Base Raiders adventure.
* The Wailing: A horror film about a small farming village in Korea under siege from a mysterious plague.
* Air Crash Investigation: A documentary series that looks into infamous plane crashes.
* Ninja Kitty: A cool creator on Patreon of erotic art. (NSFW)
Song: Hyperspace by Jaunter
Nov. 17, 2017
We are trying something new here at RPPR! Over the last year, Aaron, Jason, Renee, and I have gotten into a miniatures war game, Konflikt 47. It’s a Weird World War 2 setting, with robots, werewolves, zombies, and teleporting ninjas (kind of). We’ve played multiple games, but I thought it would be an interesting experiment to podcast a full game. So for every turn, every player talked about their armies and their decisions, as well as a pre and post-game commentary. I took some photos to help illustrate what was happening. Keep in mind we played using proxy miniatures for several units AND we have not painted many of the miniatures. If you like this, please let us know and we will record more in the future.
Pics below the fold!
Nov. 4, 2017
Note: Here’s part two of our free preview of Palladium Poisoning. If you enjoy it, please consider backing our Patreon to get access to all of the episodes. Next year we will return to WoD The Heck!
When I visited Seattle and Tacoma last month, I hung out with Faust from Thrilling Intent so I could show her the adventure book she chose. After getting over her disbelief that it existed, we discussed how we could turn Revenge Sqaud Ragnarok into a sitcom. I think we did a pretty good job! Hollywood, GET AT US
Song: One with the Machine by Venator
Oct. 25, 2017
News:I will be at Patrecon next weekend to learn how to improve the RPPR Patreon! It should be interesting and I will report back in the next episode. Caleb and Spencer are heading to Metatopia to playtest their new game Party Fowl. Check out photos of it on Facebook. Don’t forget about the Gobblin’ Kickstarter!
Synopsis: As you may know, Caleb and I have another podcast called the Mixed Six, along with another co-host, Spencer. He’s a huge board game player but had never played a tabletop RPG before until Caleb and I introduced him. We have been recording an ongoing series for the Mixed Six Patreon called Snippets of Adventure. We will make the first season available to Youtube and the first two episodes are already online. In this episode Caleb, Spencer, and I discuss the series and Spencer’s experiences as a new RPG player. Plus, shout outs and anecdotes, as usual!
* Pathfinder Adventurer’s Guide: A collection of player facing organizations in Golarion.
* Prairie Artisan Ales: Thanks to Bas and Holly for alerting us to this brewery!
* Ruiner: Cyberpunk ultra-violent vidya game.
* Urban Shadows: A modern horror PbtA RPG with interesting mechanics.
* Riverdale Season 2: WTF Archie why is there blood everywhere?
* Tabletop Tapes: Thanks to Daniel Stewart for the shout outs on Twitter!
* The Sprawl: A PbtA cyberpunk RPG that models the genre quite well.
* Maple Syrup Blood Money: A podcast about Riverdale by RPPR friends Noah and Kyle!
* The wellRED Podcast: Rednecks with leftist politics discuss the issues and life.
* 25 MST3K Movies that Changed My Life In No Way Whatsoever: A funny book by Tv’s Frank
Song: The Price of Valour by Kai Engel
Oct. 18, 2017
Gobblin’ is an original RPG setting and system where players control goblins settling and exploring a post-apocalyptic Earth. The creatures who crave violence, stupidity and chaos have just found the perfect means to obtain it. I interviewed the game designer, Greg Predmore of the Drunk and Ugly podcast, about how he created the game and how it works now. We’ve also posted an actual play of the game, which you can listen to here.
Check the game out on Kickstarter today!
Oct. 7, 2017
Note: I wanted to give you all a free preview of a Patreon exclusive series, Palladium Poisoning. I’ll post one more episode of it later this month. If you enjoy it, please consider backing our Patreon to get access to all of the episodes and be sure to check out Faust on Third Wheel!
Synopsis: Rifts Adventure Sourcebook 2: Chi-Town ‘Burbs: Firetown & the Tolkeen Crisis is an odd duck. It focuses on providing plot hooks for running adventures in a sprawling city in the shadow of the Coalition States. It also features a fully fleshed out team of adventurers out for revenge against the CS. Six fully written up adventurers with personalities and back stories who aren’t just punching bags or mary sues. It’s weird, I know. Shaun and I discuss what kind of TV show would best suit these characters.
Song: 34 by HOME
Sept. 28, 2017
Base Raiders is a fun game, but creating new super powers can be complicated. Someone asked for a podcast that helped clarify the process, so here it is. Tom, Shaun, and I talk about how to calculate the refresh and skill point cost of a new super power (or strange skill as it is referred to in the book). If you need a copy of Base Raiders, it’s on sale right now, along with my other books!
Follow along on page 113 of the book (the power trapping chart) or use the handy PDF version, available here.
Read the Character Creation Survival Guide too!
Sept. 18, 2017
Identify as female & run games? Got questions? This panel is for you! Aaron stopped by this panel to record it, so here it is. Thanks to the host, Michelle Lyons-McFarland of Growling Door Games for letting us record it.
Sept. 8, 2017
We met a lot of fans of RPPR at this year’s meetup and here’s the recording! We talk a little about RPPR, answer questions, have some trivia contests for listeners, and of course dissect an…interesting RPG, Maid. Enjoy!
Aug. 29, 2017
Gen Con 2017 has come and gone and boy did we have a great time! Between playing a lot of great games, recording podcasts, and meeting up with the RPPR community, we barely got any sleep! Special guests George and Jen of Eclectic Eccentricities join Aaron, Tom, Dan, Michelle, and I as we discuss our experiences. Learn about a bunch of new games and find out what we recorded for the podcast.
Games mentioned in this podcast in no particular order
* Delta Green: Observer Effect
* Tentacle Bento
* When I Dream (described as Sweet Dreams by mistake in the podcast)
* Settlers of Catan: Explorers and Pirates
* Wild Skies
* Lovecraft Letter
* Word Slam
* Letter Tycoon
* Twilight Imperium 4th Edition
* Bears vs. Babies
Song: Pyxis by HOME